Sunday, March 10, 2019

The Martian on Earth

Growing up is mostly about living life with disappointments. So as you grow older, you dream less, try to wish for things that are feasible. But somehow I never seem to have mastered it. Big or small, my wishes usually don't get fulfilled.

Like wanting to join an external PhD program at an University stone throw away.
Like wanting to take my daughter to Disneyland before she joins school.
Like wanting to take my dad to Kashi to complete religious rituals for my mom who passed away.
Like wanting to do research in a Research Lab.

Professionally, I've long tried to embrace the suck, to make work personally satisfying, despite the odds.

But it is hard to do that in your personal life.

***

On an unrelated note, I've rediscovered watching movies on TV.

I failed to watch a single movie in Biffes this time, although I had registered like previous years. Movies, I guess are made by much more complex artists, last only a couple of hours and on TV channels, have an element of surprise that is not available in Netflix. Perhaps having been an [m]ad-man myself, and having dabbled with matrix factorization, I will never watch anything Netflix recommends.

So the other day, I watched (again) The Martian on TV. What do you do when you are the only person on a planet trying to survive? You solve problems. One at a time, till you go home, or die.

Guess, it applies to some of us here on Earth.


No comments: