Saturday, June 17, 2023

Growing old

I turn 41 today. Officially. Something that infuriates me because my parents didn't care what my birthday was as long as I was admitted to a school early. Heck, in class 6, we didn't know what my birthday was and a school registrar suggested June 17, two months before my real birthday August 17.

Also, I suspect this year, I'll get more birthday wishes from bots (mostly banks and mutual funds) than I'll get from real people.

As I grow old, one thing that has surprised me is wanting to belong. For much of my life, I've chosen unconventional paths and accepted the loneliness that comes with it. I remember crying the night I topped my school in the 10th board exam, because there was no one at home to appreciate me or celebrate my little success. But for the most part, I've been capable of motivating myself and pursue my goals.

But now in my 40s, its becoming harder to choose unconventional paths. And when I do, staying motivated has become harder. Something to work on this year.

No comments: